Filing a claim
Consumers who believe they have lost money as a result of fraud can file a claim for compensation with the AMF. First you need to verify whether your case meets the eligibility criteria set out by the financial services compensation fund.
The AMF carries out a detailed assessment of each claim to determine if an indemnity is to be paid out. It is, therefore, important that your claim be as complete and accurate as possible and that all the relevant documents are sent to the AMF at the assessment stage.
Completing the claim form
A claim form must be completed. The form allows you to apply for compensation according to AMF criteria.
In completing the form, you must:
- Set out the facts, explaining what occurred;
- Indicate the name of the representative involved;
- Indicate the name of the company (firm, insurer, dealer);
- Indicate the amount of the claim;
- Swear to the contents of the claim, by signing it before a commissioner for oaths (a person authorized to witness a solemn declaration such as a notary, lawyer, physician or an authorized agent at a financial institution);.
- Provide all documentary evidence to support your claim (copies of contracts, receipts, cheques, etc.).
Send your claim form along with the supporting documents to the following address:
Autorité des marchés financiers
Place de la Cité, tour Cominar
2640, boulevard Laurier, 3e étage
Québec (Québec) G1V 5C1
For more information on the claim process, contact the AMF Information Centre by e mail at: Request for information.